When you go travel, you must have a vacation budget. But you should not get too comfortable with it. Keep in mind that there are still a great number of additional fees that you must be aware of. Listed below are some of the common expenses that could take you by surprise when travelling in and out of the country.
- Departure taxes. If you try to study the overall cost of an airline ticket, you can see that you are paying a departure tax imposed for international flights. This tax is combined with passenger facility charge and segment tax. If this tax is not included in your airfare, then you are forced to pay an exit fee at the airport while heading back to your own country. The fee can go from $25 per person to $40 per head, depending on the country you are visiting. You can pay it using your credit card or cash. If you are not sure about departure taxes that may be included in your ticket when you go travel, then you must inquire about it from your airline.
- Visa fees. They are additional expenses when you are traveling to major countries. They can escalate and may ruin your overall budget. To know how much you are going to pay for this type of fee, you must go to the consulate's website of the country you are visiting and inquire about how much visa fees you need to shell out.
- Baggage fees. They can range from $30 to $100. Because the rules are changing when it comes to collecting these fees when you go travel, it is ideal to research about these fees before booking.
- Resort fees. The fees will cover things you assumed to be free, like daily newspaper and pool towels. Although not all hotels may charge you with resort fees, there are some that really charge their customers notoriously. This type of fee shows up as a percentage and not a flat fee. When you go travel and stay in, say, Bellagio, you will be billed with more than $20 per night for the Internet and local calls you made. Therefore, it is a must that you read the fine print or you may ask the person-in-charge before making a reservation. You should also use room service sparingly. Also, you must stay away from going to the hotel's mini-bar.
- Transaction fees for foreigners. These fees are imposed when you travel abroad, even if the price is in USD. Your credit card company will still charge you a foreign transaction fee when booking a flight. To avoid this type of fee when you go travel, you should book through an airline with connection to the country you will be traveling to.
The above mentioned expenses are very common but most passengers tend to overlook them. As a result, they end up ruining their budget. Hence, it is a must that you inquire about them before making a budget when you go travel.
Photo source: bountifultraveler.net