Miss Philippines’ Final Answer during the Miss Universe 2010 Pageant—No Need for an Interpreter


“You know what, sir, in my 22 years of existence I can say that there's nothing major, major problem that I've done in my life because I'm very confident with my family, with the love that they are giving to me. So thank you so much that I'm here. Thank you, thank you so much!"

Because of her answer, many Filipinos (experts) are recommending that the future Miss Philippines should opt to have an interpreter. But here is my take: I do not think Venus Raj and the next Miss Philippines need an interpreter in order to win the crown. Rather, they should train themselves on how to organize their ideas in seconds. Plus, they also need to learn how to overcome their nervousness so they can think clearly.

Just remember what happened to Miss South Carolina during the Miss Teen USA pageant in 2007. She can speak in English fluently but she uttered an obscure, incoherent answer: “I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like such as, uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us.”

Therefore, there is no need for an interpreter (unless our own Miss Philippines does not understand the English language) just to win the elusive Miss Universe crown. By the way, there are other competitions that we can focus on, like international debate championships, battle of the brains, and the likes.

Modified answer of Venus Raj: “You know what, sir, in my 22 years of existence I can say that there's nothing major, major problem that I've done in my life because I always think before I act. Through my family’s love and support, I always make a right decision.”

She understood the question and had an idea, but she was too nervous she could not organize her thoughts coherently. Training on public speaking is what she (and the next Miss Philippines-Universe contestant) needs not an interpreter.

Other topics of interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram